Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bargain Shopping

Those who know me best are quite familiar with my love for bargain shopping. I believe in the power of retail therapy: the rush of finding the last fabulous thing in your size, the validation of finding it on sale, and the confidence you get from flaunting it.

My latest purchases?

























The first is just over $20, a sale item at French Connection. The second is actually from Forever 21, an adorable summer find for under $20.

Sure, I enjoy a great deal. So do a lot of women. Most, especially those my age, can't really afford to go around bragging about how they paid full price for this or that. Is it about the money saved? Not quite. It's about value.

When I go to the store, by myself or with a shopping buddy, I always ask myself the same question: How cute is this? That probably sounds like a stupid question to ask, but I don't respond like a squealing 14 year old ("omg, TOTALLY cute!"). I respond with a price.

The unfortunate thing about retail is that they tell you what the price is. No salesperson is going to watch you in the mirror and say "You're right, it's only $25 worth of cute. I will discount you at the register." So you have to draw that line yourself. 

What are you willing to pay to look like this? Is it a good quality garment? Does it need alterations? Is it dry clean only? Is it versatile? Is it unique? All of these things factor into the long term cost of your garment.

Personally, I did a good bit of shopping right before my trip to Boston with Emma. But fall is right around the corner, and I'm already seeing a lot of likable trends in my favorite magazines. I have little doubt that I will soon be found in a dressing room haggling with myself over the cuteness of a certain pair of green skinny jeans.






No comments:

Post a Comment